Radiation Therapy

Contact Information

If you have questions about this website or need additional information about Radiation Therapy, contact the Allied Health Department at 785-670-2170 or 785-670-2176.

Email the Program DirectorEmail the Clinical CoordinatorEmail the Allied Health Department for Program Information

Frequently Asked Questions


When I am applying to the University, which University Admissions form do I need to complete?
Answer: Please complete the “Degree Seeking” application for undergraduate status to the University.  In the process of completing the application, declare the “Certificate in Radiation Therapy”

I keep receiving emails from WU to register for fall classes, should I register and if so where do I get my PIN number?
Answer:  All newly accepted students will receive enrollment instructions and PIN numbers by the end of May and will begin courses in the 2nd summer session. In addition, books may be ordered/purchased while at orientation.

How do I speak with someone in the Admission's Office?
Answer: 1-785-670-1030


Do I have to have an earned degree to start the program?
Answer: Yes, all applicants must either have earned, OR will earn by program start date, an associate’s degree or higher from an institution approved by the ARRT. Visit www.arrt.org/FAQ/Associate-degree-Requirement for further details. 

Do I need to send all of my transcripts, even if I just took a few courses at a school?
Answer: Yes, all transcripts must be sent to both the Admissions Office and the Radiation Therapy Program to complete one’s application.

Should I wait to submit my official transcripts until my Fall course grades are posted?
Answer: Yes, please wait to submit your transcripts until your Fall course grades are posted.

Once I complete my Radiologic Technology Program, do I need to send Washburn University Admission and the Program Director new transcripts?
Answer: Yes, you must send new transcripts to both the Washburn University Admissions office and the Program Directors office.

What should I do if my transcripts are being sent electronically?
Answer: Notify the Radiation Therapy office at 785.670.2176. *Electronic transcripts must be sent to etranscripts@washburn.edu


Do I have to be a Registered Radiologic Technologist RT(R) or registry eligible in order to apply for this program?
Answer: Yes, all applicants must be a graduate of an accredited Radiologic Technology program and possess the professional designation of RT(R). A registry eligible student may also apply and be considered for admittance; however, completion of the accredited Radiologic Technology program and attainment of the professional designation of RT(R) must be obtained prior to the program start date.

Do I have to have an Associate Degree of higher to apply to the program?
Answer:Yes, eligibility requirements for ARRT certification in Radiography, Nuclear medicine Technology and Radiation Therapy…, effective January 1, 2015, call for candidates to have earned an associate (or more advanced) degree from an accrediting agency recognized by ARRT.

Should I wait to send in my application when all components are completed or should I mail each part as it is completed?
Answer: The preference is to receive it all in one mailing. Once the program receives your completed Radiation Therapy Program Application form, a file is started.

Do you need my High School transcripts?
Answer: Only if you have not completed any previous college credits, meaning you went straight into a hospital based radiology program from high school. If you have completed 24 or more college credit hours, we do not need your high school transcripts.

Do you need my ACT score?
Answer: If you have completed 24 or more college credit hours, then your ACT scores are not needed. However, if you have completed less than 24 college credit hours then we will need your ACT scores.

What format should the Survey of Interest be in?
Answer: Responses may be numbered or bulleted.

If I complete two observations do I need to submit two Observation Summaries with my application?
Answer: No, one observation summary is sufficient. You may combine both experiences if you choose.

Do you accept applications after the February 1st deadline?
Answer:  Yes, the program will accept applications after the February 1st deadline, but will only accept students from the secondary pool if all positions in the class have not been filled.

Does the program send out a letter letting me know if my application is complete?
Answer: No, since most applications arrive right around the post-marked deadline of February 1, the program does not have enough time to contact students to obtain missing documents. Students may contact the department secretary by email at susan.kobzar@washburn.edu to confirm receipt of application materials.


Can new clinical sites be added as affiliates?
Answer: Yes, if the site meets the requirements for affiliation which have to do with patient volumes, procedure variety, equipment, staffing, accreditation, and interest in training a student. If you have a site in mind, please contact  the Radiation Therapy Clinical Coordinator, Kristina Collins at  (785) 670-1414 or kristina.collins@washburn.edu and provide her with the site’s name, phone number, email, and contact person such as a supervisor so that contact can be made and an information packet mailed out.

If I am accepted into the Radiation Therapy program, am I guaranteed a clinical site?
Answer: No.  Acceptance is contingent on clinical placement availability. Decisions on clinical placement are made between Washburn’s Radiation Therapy program and the clinical facility. If a clinical site is not secured, you will not be able to begin the program.


How much are the tuition fees?
Answer: Visit http://www.washburn.edu/current-students/business-office/tuition-fees.html to view current tuition rates.

Do I pay tuition fees by the semester?
Answer: Yes, you will be billed online through your My.Washburn account each individual semester.

How much will books and materials cost?
Answer: Costs for books and materials is approximately $1,200 for the entire year. Please note that this does not include the cost of a personal computer and home internet service provider fees.

What is the deadline and procedure for applying for financial aid?
Answer: You can apply for financial aid to assist in the costs of the radiation therapy program. Please call the Financial Aid office for specific details and deadline dates at (785-670-1151) or visit the website at  http://www.washburn.edu/admissions/paying-for-college/financial-aid/index.html

Are there any other additional scholarships that I could apply for?
Answer: Yes, the Washburn School of Applied Studies (SAS) offers individual scholarships. You can print an application from the SAS website at http://www.washburn.edu/sas/; look for the "SAS Scholarship Application" link on the right side of the page.  The deadline for SAS Scholarship applications is in early to mid-February. Check the scholarship application materials for the exact deadline. The ASRT also offers scholarships and college loan assistance for RT(T) students. Log on to http://www.asrtfoundation.org/Content/Scholarships_and_Awards/.

How do I speak with someone in the Financial Aid Office?
Answer: 1-785-670-1151

How do I speak with someone in the Business Office?
Answer: 1-785-670-1156


Is the on-campus mandatory orientation session really mandatory for all students?
Answer: Yes

What are the online class hours?
Answer: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday (Central Time)

What are the clinical hours?
Answer: 8:00am – 4:00pm Tuesday – Thursday + 8:00am-12:00pm Friday (Fall Semester / Spring Semester) 
8:00am – 4:00pm Monday – Friday during the Winter Intersession (about 3 weeks in December/January)
8:00am – 4:00pm Monday – Thursday + 8:00am-12:00pm Friday (Summer #2)


Does a background check that I had completed at my work or through my radiology program meet the Radiation Therapy Program's background check requirement?
Answer: No, all students must complete a separate background check through Pre-Check. This is not required until acceptance and clinical placement is confirmed. The cost is approximately $50. The background check analyzes the following:

  • Convictions of laws regulating controlled substances;
  • Convictions, at the felony level of crimes, as defined under Kansas Criminal Code (K.S.A. 21-3101 et seq.) and amendments thereto, which are crimes against persons, crimes against property, or sex offenses.
  • Conviction of an offense requiring registry as a sex offender under the Kansas Offender Registry Act or any federal, military, or other state law requiring registry;
  • Conviction, at the felony level of crimes, involving moral turpitude which include but are not limited to: perjury, bribery, embezzlement, theft, and misuse of public funds.

* Exception: Persons who have been convicted of a misdemeanor illegal drug offense may be permitted to participate in the clinical practicum if they have demonstrated, in the opinion of the program director, that they have been sufficiently rehabilitated.

  • Successful completion of a 10 panel drug screen.

Can a PA or Nurse Practitioner complete my physical form?
Answer: Yes, a Physician, Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner may complete the health physical form. The physical form is not required until acceptance and clinical placement is confirmed.

I received the Hepatitis B vaccination series, but I cannot find my documentation, what should I do?
Answer: Have your healthcare provider draw a Hep B titer to demonstrate immunity. This step is not required until acceptance and clinical placement is confirmed.

My mom says that I had the chicken pox in 1989, is this sufficient?
Answer: No, dates of varicella vaccination OR results of a titer showing immunity is required.

My immunization records demonstrate DPT vaccinations in childhood; is this sufficient?
Answer: No, 1 adult Tdap is required and if it exceeds 10 years a tetanus must be updated.

Re-Application Process

A student that was not accepted into the program the previous application year may choose to reapply for the next academic year. All students must follow and complete the steps identified below to be considered. The deadline for submission is February 1.

(1)  Re-apply to Washburn University on-line as a Degree Seeking Student for fall 2016 (http://www.washburn.edu/main/admissions/more-info/transfer.html). You will need to notate that you have previously paid the $20 university admissions fee, with this submission.

(2)  Complete the 2016 radiation therapy application. It will be available online at www.washburn.edu/radiation-therapy by August 1. Some program changes will be implemented in the fall of 2016. Details about the revised program will be provided on the website and in the updated application packet.

(3)  If you have taken specific steps to strengthen your application, such as radiologic science employment, additional coursework, more observation experience, related community service, relevant continuing education etc, please include a document which clearly summarizes your actions as this will allow the application review committee to award additional points.

(4)  Send official transcripts of coursework that has been completed since your original application submission to BOTH the Radiation Therapy program and the Admissions Office.


Washburn University                                             Washburn University
Radiation Therapy Program Director                       Admissions Office
1700 SW College                                                 1700 SW College
Topeka, KS 66621                                                Topeka, KS 66621