Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a music major?

To become a music major you will need to audition for the Department of Music. Our audition dates for the current academic year are:

January 28, 2017

February 4, 2017

March 4, 2017

How do I set up an audition?

To set up an audition, please contact the following division coordinators. He/she will guide you through the appropriate steps.

Dr. Michael Averett, Brass, 785.670.1515,

Dr. Shiao-Li Ding, Keyboard, 785.670.1517,

Erinn Renyer, Strings, 785.670.3292,

Dr. Rebecca Meador, Woodwinds, 785.670.1518,

Dr. Lee Snook, Voice, 785.670.1514,

Dr. Tom Morgan, Percussion, 785.670.1521,

How do music scholarships work?

If you are a senior in high school you can audition on one of our scholarship audition dates. Acceptance and financial rewards will be based on the strength of your audition.

How much money do you offer through scholarships?

Music Scholarships are based on scholarship auditions. Members of Marching Band are awarded separate scholarships based on participation with no audition required. Basketball Pep Band membership is via a separate audition in October and members are awarded a stipend for each game performed.

Are there other ways to help pay for school?

Yes! Washburn gives additional scholarships to students who have achieved academic success in high school. There are also student loans, grants, work-study programs, and other scholarships available. Contact your high school's guidance counselor or the Washburn University admissions office for more information.

Can I play in ensembles if I am not a music major?

Yes! At Washburn we encourage all students to continue the years they have invested in making music by continuing to perform in all types of ensembles.

How do I join the ensemble?

To join an ensemble you should contact the director of that ensemble. Some ensembles are auditioned and some are not.

What music do I play for an audition?

Contact the ensemble director for more information.

What if I don’t own an instrument?

We provide instruments to degree-seeking music majors. Instruments are available on a per-semester basis, free of charge.

Where do I keep my instrument?

Washburn’s Music Department also supplies lockers to music majors. These lockers are large enough to hold most instruments and are also free of charge.

girl playing saxophone