Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)

MSN Frequently Asked Questions

What pre-requisite courses do I need?
Applicants are to have an undergraduate health assessment course, a research course and a graduate level inferential statistics course with a grade of B or better.

How can I fulfill the graduate statistics requirement?
The Washburn Psychology department does offer PY 510 GA Intermediate Statistics. This course will fulfill requirements. Enrollment in this course requires School of Nursing approval.   Contact Mary Allen @ 785-670-1533 or  Equivalent statistics courses may be completed at other colleges/universities. Students may submit a course description for evaluation by the School of Nursing.

Some acceptable alternatives include:

  • The University of Kansas: PRE 710 and 711 Introduction to Statistical Analysis/Lab
  • Kansas State University: STAT 703 Statistical Methods for Natural Scientists
  • Fort Hays State University:  NURS 808  Statistics for Health Professionals
  • Emporia State University:  PY 520  Statistics I

When is the deadline for application?
Following the deadline of March 15, applications will be reviewed by the Graduate Education Committee. Students are accepted only in the fall.

What is the length of the program?

The Clinical Nurse Leader track is completed in 3 years

What are the expenses to me? Books, supplies, tuition?
There is a $35 non-refundable application fee. Books are estimated at $150-$500 per semester depending on courses. University tuition rates can be found here.

Are Scholarships available?
Yes, applications may be obtained at the School of Nursing office or on the website linked in the Scholarship section.

What is a "health clearance" and when must it be completed?
Clearance is required to protect the student and client(s) and to be in compliance with clinical agency requirements. Clearance must be completed each year by August 5th prior to beginning the fall semester. Clearance includes a physical examination including a urinalysis and Complete Blood Count, proof of immunizations and TB testing. Students must show evidence of completion of CPR for the Professional Rescuer or Healthcare Provider and personal health insurance. A criminal background check is required. The student is responsible for expenses related to these requirements.

Upon graduation, what licensure and/or certification will I be eligible for?
The Clinical Nurse Leader does not prepare the graduate for eligibility as an APRN in Kansas.

Who selects the clinical site and the preceptor?
The student and faculty collaborate in developing a suitable clinical experience. The student or faculty may recommend appropriate clinical sites and preceptors depending on the objectives of the course and the goals of the student. Washburn University School of Nursing is required have a contract with the clinical agency for students to complete clinical in the agency. Students should ask faculty to verify contracts prior to starting clinical experience. Please allow 6-8 months to obtain a new contract.

What GPA must I maintain to remain in the program?
Students must get a B in courses or maintain a 3.0 GPA. Students failing to meet this standard will be placed on academic probation. Details about progression in the program may be found in the student handbook.