International Student & Scholar Services

Washburn University
International Programs
1700 SW College Ave
Topeka, KS 66621


Admission Requirements

*All items that apply to an applicant must be received before the application can be processed.*

Undergraduate Students

Washburn offers several Bachelor’s degree programs.  Students applying for admission to an undergraduate program must submit the following to the Office of International Programs:

  1. International On-line Application for Admission
  2. Signed and Completed Financial Disclaimer Form
  3. Original Financial supporting documents, such as a current bank statement
  4. USD$ 70 non-refundable application / processing fee.  Payment options include: TouchNet, money order, or bank check payable to Washburn University.
  5. Original transcripts.  See Transcript Requirements for more details.
  6. iBT TOEFL or IELTS score report if applying for full admission. Go to English Proficiency Requirements for more details.
      Note:  Applicants with low or without iBT TOEFL/IELTS can be admitted into the Intensive English Program first.

ESL (English as a Second Language) Students

If you are applying to Washburn to study only Intensive English, you are not required to submit #5 or #6 as described above.

Graduate Students

Washburn offers several Master's Degrees.  Students applying for admission to a graduate program must complete the university admissions process through the Office of International Programs in addition to the graduate program admissions process through the academic department. 

For more details regarding the graduate program application process, please contact the academic department directly.  In addition to #2-#6 listed in the Undergraduate applicants section above, you must submit the following:

  1. On-line graduate program application form
  2. GRE/GMAT (for MBA Program)/LSAT (for Law) score, with minimum scores determined by individual departments.
  3. Two or three letters of recommendation, depending on the program.
  4. Evaluation of foreign transcripts by ECE  (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.) or WES (World Education Services).

Transfer Students (attending another U.S. University)

If you are already studying in the U.S. on an F-1 or J-1 visa and would like to apply for transfer student admission to Washburn, in addition to the materials listed above for Undergraduate applicants or Graduate applicants (depending on the program for which you are applying), you must also submit the following:

  1. Copies of your current Form I-20 (pages 1 and 2) or Form DS-2019 (page 1), current F-1 or J-1 visa and passport I.D./picture page
  2. The Transfer Eligibility Form, completed by you and a foreign student advisor at your current university/college/language program.
  3. Official transcripts of courses/grades, sent by your current US university/college/language program directly to the Office of International Programs.

Visiting or Exchange Students

Visiting / Exchange students are students who are currently attending one of Washburn's partnership universities and will attend Washburn for one or two semesters.  You may be required to submit additional documents to your home university to study on exchange at WU, so please check with the international office at your home university for more details.

Form I-20/Form DS-2019 and Mail Service

After you are admitted to Washburn, depending on your visa type, a Form I-20 (F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (J-1 visa) and an acceptance packet will be sent to you by regular air mail. If you desire faster and more secure mail service, you may request US Postal Express Mail or Federal Express. Please include $50 for US Postal Express or $90 for FedEx or DHL service.

Application Deadlines

Fall (beginning mid-August) -- June 15
Summer (beginning end of May) -- April 1
Spring (beginning mid-January) -- November 15

Apply Now

After you have read and understood the information above and are ready to submit an application, you may apply online here: 

            Application for admission for undergraduate programs

            Application for admission for graduate programs