Why become a Volunteer?
of the advantages of the Leadership Challenge Event® is that it gives participating students as
well as the Washburn University Leadership Institute the opportunity to connect
with campus leaders and leaders in the Topeka community. Partnerships are very
important to us at the Leadership Institute and we value the insight and
real-life experience that they often provide.
is our hope to have several campus and community members participate with
the LCE® being
connected as volunteers. Qualified volunteers are needed to ensure the
adequate implementation of a high quality experience for all participants.
Volunteer opportunities include the following:
- Judges – Individuals that will engage in the
evaluation of competitive teams in the leadership simulation, focusing on
elements of both leader and leadership effectiveness
- Simulation Role Players – Individuals that
will play fictional roles as part of the leadership simulation in a live
In order to volunteer for the LCE®, you must meet the following criteria:
- Judges must have a minimum of five years of
experience in the workplace;
- Simulation role players must be comfortable
performing in a fictional role;
- All judges must be available for the entire day of March 8thth (8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) as well as
available for a two-hour training session;
- Time commitment for simulation role players will vary by role and includes
a two-hour training session;
- All volunteers must be willing to prepare for their role by completing
pre-reading of role materials in advance of the training session (approximately
1 hour of time)
Benefits of Being a Volunteer
There are several benefits to individuals
volunteering their time in support of the Leadership Challenge Event®; some of these benefits include the
- Contribute to the leadership development of our community’s high school and
- Develop your own leadership skills through your optional involvement in
- Participate in an one-of-a kind historical community event;
- Experience the unique partnering opportunity across academic, non-profit,
and for-profit sectors;
- Take advantage of potential recruiting opportunities and visibility of your
organization with participating students;
- Interact with the leaders of our community throughout the day;
- Have a lot of Fun!
and experience the next generation of leaders in action.
Volunteer Training Dates
- Tuesday, March 3rd 6:30p - 8:30p
- Thursday, March 6th 6:30p - 8:30p
- Saturday, March 8th 9:30a-11a
ALL volunteers are required to attend one of these volunteer training sessions.