Agenda Item No. V. B. 3.
Washburn University Board of Regents
SUBJECT: Washburn Endowment Association Office Space
The Washburn Endowment Association was formed as a separate corporate entity in 1987 with its mission is to serve Washburn University through asset management, fund development and engage in related activities furthering the mission of the University. Currently, WEA manages approximately $100 million in funds through professional fund managers with national investment firms and through the leadership of the finance committee of its Board of Trustees.
As the University has become more active in the fund raising area, the staff of WEA has expanded to support these fundraising initiatives. Even with frugal space allocations, it was determined the Bradbury Thompson Center cannot meet all the WEA space requirements. Consequently, a Building Committee was formed and a program statement for the project was completed in the summer of 2003. At its July 23, 2003 meeting, the Board of Regents approved the project program statement with a not-to-exceed amount of $2.0 million to be funded from University reserves.
In August 2004, the University acquired property at 1729 SW MacVicar and began the process to have the property rezoned from "R-1" Single Family Dwelling District to "PUD" Planned Unit Development District (U-1 use group). This rezoning application was approved by the City of Topeka Planning Commission on May 16, 2005, then by the Topeka City Council, with the final certification of master PUD plan approval being granted on July 15, 2005.
At its meeting of October 8, 2004, the Board of Regents approved the project at the MacVicar site to be funded from University reserves ($1.307 million) and authorized the University to hire architects for the final design. After a review of proposals submitted, four (4) architectural firms were interviewed for the project with William Sheahan & Associates being awarded the contract.
Based on the foregoing, William Sheahan & Associates has been working with the Building Committee to refine the program requirements and begin the schematic design phase of the project to include the following:
Private office spaces for executive and management level employees conducive to confidential conversations and meetings with donors, board members and employees.
A reception area to serve as the main entrance for donors with seating area for waiting and informal conversation.
Semi-private/private office spaces for development staff.
Modular units/semi-private offices for support functions.
Meeting room/training room spaces for meetings with donors, board members and vendors as well as meetings within the organization.
Phonathon room for calling donors and alumni with the capacity for 12-15 callers.
Schematic designs have been completed, and the Building Committee and University administration are recommending the schematic designs for the WEA project at 1729 SW MacVicar be approved by the Board of Regents.
Costs for the project have been estimated as follows:
Construction costs including contingency $1,248,255 $1,383,910
Reroute sewer line 40,000 40,000
Architectural and engineering fees 99,860 110,713
Sub-total $1,388,115 $1,534,623
Possible add alternate 47,600 54,400
Additional architectural and engineering fees 3,808 4,352
Total $1,439,523 $1,593,375
In accordance with the University's Memorandum of Understanding with the Washburn Endowment Association, the University is to provide space for WEA. Funding for the project is to come from University reserves.
President Farley recommends the Board of Regents approve the schematic design submitted by William Sheahan & Associates, and authorize William Sheahan & Associates to begin the Design Development and Construction Documents phases of the project. The Board will review and approve the project again in November 2005 at the conclusion of the Construction Documents phase and authorize the project to be bid in December 2005.
Date Jerry B. Farley, President