Agenda Item No. V. A. 2. b.
Washburn University Board of Regents
SUBJECT: Faculty Personnel
The following positions are required to staff classes for Academic Year 2004:
1) Hire Faye Niesen on a full-time, 9 month , non-tenure track, (with possible renewal for 3 years) contract as a Radiation Therapy Lecturer (POSN 000927) in the department of Allied Health effective August 1, 2004, salary of $45,000. Teaching load will be 15 hours/semester. Teaching all courses online and will not have the traditional faculty responsibilities of an on-campus professor.
2) Grant approval for leave of absence without pay to Peregrina Pereiro, Assistant Professor in Modern Languages (POSN 000082), for one year so that she can accept a teaching position in Spain for the academic year 2004-05 starting August 1, 2004. The tenure calendar will stop for the duration of her leave of absence.
3) Provide additional funds for benefits for Visiting Assistant Professor, Peter Linzer (POSN 000298), in the School of Law. Additional benefits cost of $18,273 required for Texas COBRA reimbursement and TIAA-CREF. Additional benefit amount will either be added to faculty salary amount or paid directly to benefit providers.
4) Hire Nathan Bremer for the Study Abroad Coordinator position in the International Program at a salary of $33,000 (new position).
1) Faye Niesen=s salary will come from salary line POSN 000927 ($42,000). The remaining $3,000 will come from savings in the CJ line POSN 000367 (Berry for McElreath).
2) No implications. A temporary instructor will be hired to teach Pereiro=s load for the academic year.
3) The University will contribute $5,556 toward the COBRA Health Insurance benefit payment. The Law School will provide the additional $12,717 for the following:
$11,050 B 8.5% of $130,000 salary for TIAA-CREF which University of Houston would
have contributed for a vested faculty member.
$1,667 B Tax on COBRA Health Insurance post-tax benefit.
4) Nathan Bremer=s salary money will come form the newly approved position in the Office of International Programs ($32,000). Additional salary money ($1,000) to come from the Office of International Programs Adjunct Pool (POSN A99990).
President Farley and Chairman Roth recommend that the Board ratify this faculty personnel request, given tentative approval by Chairman Roth on 8/16/04.
(date) Jerry B. Farley, President