Agenda Item No. ____________Washburn University Board of Regents
SUBJECT: West Hall Room 100C and 100D
Project No. P-0089
DESCRIPTION: The concrete slab in dormitory rooms 100C and 100D in West Hall has settled in several places and caused considerable damage to the walls and broken plumbing lines in the bathroom area. Soil tests have been taken and indicate the subgrade below the slab is not compacted properly and needs to be completely removed and recompacted. This will require a complete reconstruction of the rooms. The cost of this reconstruction is as follows:
1. Cut three (3) test holes (completed) $ 180.00
2. Soil test (completed) $ 1,900.00
3. Remove interior walls and concrete slab $ 7,121.90
4. Repair plumbing under slab $ 1,965.00
5. Removal of soil and recompact
Five (5) foot deep = approx. $10,000 $10,000.00 (est.)
6. Subsoil testing and soil stabilized $ 900.00 (est.)
7. Replace concrete slab $ 4,409.73
8. General construction $14,928.00
9. Replace carpet $ 3,678.00
10. Move furniture back, cleaning, and contingency $ 1,000.00 (est.)
Note: The students in these rooms have been relocated due to safety concerns. The reconstruction work is scheduled to be completed during semester break in time for them to move back for the beginning of spring semester.
FINANCIAL IMPLICATIONS: Expenditure of $46,082.63 from West Hall operating account 01-81021.
RECOMMENDATION: President Farley recommends the Board of Regents approve award of contracts to Bob Florence Co., McElroy Plumbing, and Terrcon, Inc. to complete the reconstruction of rooms 100C and 100D in West Hall.
(Date) Jerry B. Farley, President