SUBJECT: Video/Satellite Conferencing Policies/Fees
The Media Center has campus responsibility to provide support services for teleconferencing and classroom support.
The Media Center has a growing number of requests from community groups for conferencing facilities. The primary mission is to serve the satellite/videoconferencing needs of the Washburn community; however, there are occasions when the facilities can be made available to serve the conferencing needs of the Topeka community without adding staff or equipment. Requests will only be accepted when they do not conflict with Washburn uses.
In structuring appropriate use policies, many institutions statewide were polled to determine an average fee for services. The proposed fees have been set at about the average for charges at sites within the state of Kansas (hospitals, K-12 institutions, community colleges and four-year higher education institutions).
Revenues received will go to the general fund. Minimal expenses are anticipated because requests will be honored only if they can be managed in existing staffing loads.
President Farley recommends that the Media Center Video/Satellite Conferencing Policies/Fees be approved.
(date) Jerry B. Farley, President
1. The responsibility of scheduling distant sites, networks, rooms, food service, etc. is that of our patrons. Help with locating these sites can be obtained through the Media Center.
2. The Media Center requests the name of a contact person, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address at distant site(s) so that we may exchange the necessary technical information.
3. The video conferencing request form should be returned at least two weeks prior to the event.
4. The Media Center request two weeks notice on any equipment needed for video conferencing initiatives.
5. Any alterations to the program, such as additional sites, changes, additional equipment requests, scheduling, etc. need to be given to the Media Center two weeks prior to the event.
6. For scheduling of our site contact:
7. If this is your first interactive conference, an hour of time will be scheduled before the event to review general room and equipment operations.
1. For Washburn events, we will try to fill all video conferencing requests.
2. For Off-Campus groups conferencing is available during the hours of; 8:00 AM 5:00 PM, Monday-Friday.
FEES & INFORMATION
1. Henderson Building/Room 9
Maximum capacity: 25 people
a. Education pricing
b. Non-education pricing
2. Other rooms at Washburn:
Maximum capacity: 40
Maximum capacity: 74
a. Educational pricing
Room: Fees vary by room size
Set-up/test: Flat rate of $50
b. Non-educational pricing
Room: Fees vary by room size
Set-up/test: Flat rate of $75
3. The Media Center will pay line charges for Washburn events according to availability of funds. This funding is allocated on a first-come, first-serve basis. Line/call charges for off-campus groups will be billed to that group.
4. Washburn University departments will not be charged the above fees if the program is free of charge. However, if the department is charging an admission fee, conferencing fees will be half the usual rate.
5. Room charges at distant sites are not the responsibility of the Media Center.
ORGANIZATION: CONTACT PERSON:
DATE OF CONFERENCE:
RESERVATION MADE: ROOM:
ADDRESS: CONTACT PERSON:
ISDN _ RATE OF SPEED K CONTACT PERSON:
FIBER _ NETWORK PHONE:
RESERVATION MADE: E-MAIL:
ARE YOU CHARGING ADMISSION FOR THIS EVENT?
WILL YOU NEED A TECHNICIAN?
WILL YOU NEED FUNDING ASSISTANCE FOR LINE CHARGES?
(ON-CAMPUS DEPARTMENTS ONLY)
WHAT ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT WILL YOU NEED FOR THE PRESENTATION?
(projectors, computer, document camera, microphones, etc)
FOR QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT:
SHERI PERRY AT: 785/231-1010 x.1505
BRENDA WHITE AT: 785/231-1010 x. 1506
1. Contact the Media Center at ext. 1504 to schedule availability of satellite dish. (PAUL GOEBEL) Approximate # of participants should be provided by department at this time.
If available; Media Center will make room reservations to receive the satellite conference, depending on the number of participants.
2. The department should send in and pay for license fee(s), if applicable. (Limited funding is available through the Media Center, if individual department does not have adequate funds. Funding is on a first-come, first-serve basis.)
3. After license is complete, the originating site will send satellite information to the downlink site. This information should be forwarded to the Media Center as soon as it is received.
4. Promotion of the satellite conference is the responsibility of the dept. sponsoring it.
5. One vhs (1/2") videotape of the conference will be provided by the Media Center & sent to the department; as long as there are no copyright restrictions. A cordless phone will be provided for call-in sessions.
*Off-campus groups can also request satellite downlink facilities at Washburn for a fee of $200 plus room rental.
*If you have additional questions about satellite conferencing at Washburn University, please contact Paul Goebel in the Media Center.