In order to provide cardholders with an even greater level of security against theft of credit card information via hacking, we have outsourced credit card processing to TouchNet, which has provided our online payment portal for several years. A convenience fee is charged by TouchNet to cover credit card interchange fees (i.e., fees charged to merchants by Visa, MasterCard, and other credit card companies) and the cost of providing the additional security over credit card information.
For online credit card payments, TouchNet will charge a credit card convenience fee of 2.75% of the amount being paid (minimum fee of $3.00) to cover this processing cost.
1. Why is Washburn charging a fee for the use of my credit card?
The convenience fee is charged by TouchNet PayPath to cover the cost of processing credit card payments. Washburn will not receive any portion of the convenience fee.
2. Why is the convenience fee 2.75%?
TouchNet PayPath established the 2.75% rate to cover processing costs.
3. Is Washburn the only institution that charges a convenience fee?
No. Many state and private institutions in Kansas use a provider such as TouchNet PayPath that charges a fee.
4. Is there any way I can avoid paying a convenience fee?
Webcheck payments made through WU-View are available without a convenience fee.
5. If I make a credit card payment in error, will the convenience fee be refunded?
No. You must take up any convenience fee disputes directly with your credit card company.
6. Can I use my debit card to pay online to avoid the convenience fee?
Not at this time. Online payments can only be made with credit cards or webchecks. If you would prefer to pay with a PIN-based debit card, you can do so at the cashier window in the Student Service Center.
7. Can I make a credit card payment over the phone or through the mail?
No. This is a security measure that ensures confidentiality of your information.
8. Can I use checks issued by my credit card company to make webcheck payments?
No. These checks can be presented at the cashier windows or sent through the mail, but the routing and account number cannot be used when making webcheck payments online. Credit card companies will not honor checks used electronically.
9. Will the convenience fee be included on any bill from Washburn?
No. The fee is assessed by TouchNet PayPath as an additional charge when making a credit card payment online.
10. How will the convenience fee appear on my credit card statement?
The convenience fee will appear as a separate transaction.
11. Will I be able to schedule a credit card payment when enrolling in a payment plan?
No. Credit card payments require you to accept the Terms and Conditions for each transaction so scheduled credit card payments are not available.