Campus Sustainability

Other Recycled Material

Additional items are recycled through individual departments.

For the following items, please contact the departments specified.

  • Plastic bags - Drop off at Facilities Services or the Henderson bin in the snack area..
  • Electronics - Disposed through the IT Department.
  • Hard-backed books -  Recycled outside of single stream.
    • Place books in the container located at the Ichabod Center.
    • For large quantities please call Shirley McClendon at (785) 670-1554, to schedule a pick up.
  • Rechargeable batteries - Collected by the Garvey Theater Shop (Garvey building room 122) and Facilities Services.
    • Place in the container provided at either of these locations.
  • Furniture and Office equipment - Disposed through the Surplus Department.
  • Toner cartridges - Return to manufacturer.
    • With return labels;
      • Some manufacturers such as Hewlett Packard supply return labels with new cartridges, other manufacturers such as OKI require you to fill out return labels from their website.
      • Seal box and affix return label according to directions on the toner cartridge box or manufacturers website, then either hand deliver or send box through campus mail to UMAPS (Maintenance Building 1, south end).
    • Without return labels;
      • Collected by the IT Department (Bennett Computer Center room 104).

In addition to the above items, Facilities Services also recycles the following materials generated on campus as part of normal operations:

  • Rechargeable Batteries (Lead acid, nickel, and lithium batteries)
  • Scrap Metal
  • Fluorescent Lamps
  • Anti-Freeze
  • Motor oil
  • Tires
  • Paint
  • Wood pallets
  • Yard waste/brush