The mission of the Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning (C-TEL) is to promote excellence and innovation in teaching and enhance student learning at Washburn University and Washburn Tech.
C-TEL works collaboratively within the university community to develop and sustain a university culture that values and rewards teaching in all its forms and venues, respects and supports differences among learners, and creates enriched learning environments in which diverse students, faculty, and staff can excel. We act as a resource for the university community by offering a wide array of research-based programs and services that support teaching. We serve as a catalyst for university-wide dialogue that fosters a shared vision of teaching excellence and learning-centered education at Washburn and Washburn Tech.
The goals of the staff of C-TEL are to:
- Create a community of faculty, staff and peer student educators focused on the craft of teaching.
- Promote continued awareness of best practices in teaching and learning as reflected in literature.
- Promote and support the effective use of new technologies in the learning process to enhance student learning.
- Facilitate the use of teaching strategies that engage students in active learning.
- Promote and support the diffusion of diversity into courses, curricula, and co-curricular learning.
- Support research related to teaching and learning through assessment of student learning.
- Promote the use of dynamic high impact practices to enhance student learning.
- Promote and support the scholarship of teaching and learning.
C-TEL Advisory Board
The C-TEL Advisory Board provides support and advice to the Director, guiding the direction of programing and priorities for the Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning. The board is appointed by Vice President of Academic Affairs and its members represent the major stakeholders in teaching and student learning across the University. Advisory Board Members serve a two year term. Our current board includes: