Human Resources is accepting applications for an Administrative Specialist position in Small Business Development Center (SBDC). This position reports to the Regional Director, SBDC. This position provides support for the SBDC Director and Consultants who serve clientele in a 9-county area. Work is reviewed by the Director as needed.
Office Reception and Customer Service:
Answers the telephone and greets visitors in the SBDC office, responding to questions and requests as appropriate, providing relevant literature, directing calls and visitors to the appropriate source, taking and relaying messages as needed to assist clients and aid with communication between clients, consultants and/or other agencies who provide services to small businesses. Responds to requests for information/action as they are received from the University, state and federal agencies in compliance with requirements.
Financial Management Support:
Assists with financial management for the SBDC, using Microsoft Office software to accomplish the following:
- Records and tracks expenditures to facilitate management of multiple funding sources.
- Compiles data and provides reports to the Director and funding agencies to ensure their awareness of current financial status and issues or concerns as they develop.
- Receives, records and deposits all payments received for SBDC-sponsored workshops, seminars, etc., following University policies and procedures for handling cash transactions.
- Monitors budget account balances and reports concerns to the Director to assist with budget management throughout the fiscal year.
Compiles data, maintains records and prepares monthly reports of SBDC activity on WebCATS to satisfy reporting requirements of all funding agencies. Collects and formats economic data for SBDC centers to assist with completion of economic impact reporting.
Works closely with the Director and Consultants to plan and coordinate seminars, workshops and other SBDC-sponsored events.
- Develops and distributes promotional materials using social media, email lists, email campaign tools, etc., to notify clients of coming events.
- Accepts registrations, answers questions from potential participants.
- Schedules facilities and arranges for catering.
- Compiles information for subsequent reporting.
- Performs other duties to assist in coordinating seminars and workshops and ensure success in serving clients.
Provides support and assistance to SBDC Consultants.
- Works with individual Consultants to compile data and produce needed reports, schedule and prepare for events and meetings, enter information into the WebCATS reporting system, and facilitate communication with clients.
- Trains new Consultants in the use of the WebCATS management information system and in office procedures.
- Orders and accounts for supplies and expendables in accordance with established policies of the University and the funding agencies.
- Maintains a supply of information materials for distribution and delivery to clients.
- Reviews and evaluates client, financial and reporting records to determine the appropriate dispensation according to retention standards, discarding/destroying documents as allowable under guidelines to create space for new records.
- Attends professional development events and statewide meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the SBDC.
REQUIRED: High school diploma or GED. 3 years of experience providing administrative support, or completion of a course of study at the post-secondary level in Office Management/Support and two years of experience providing administrative support, or college degree and 12 months of experience providing administrative support. Training and experience using MS Office.
PREFERRED: Experience using Adobe Acrobat, WebCATS or other client relations management systems, and social media. Work experience in a marketing environment.
Submit a completed Washburn University Employment Application to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Washburn University Human Resources, 263 Morgan Hall, 1700 SW College, Topeka, Kansas 66621. RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Review of applications will begin January 27, 2014, and continue until a suitably qualified candidate has been identified. Entry rate is $12.98 per hour. Excellent fringe benefits package. Employment at Washburn University may be conditioned upon satisfactory completion of a background check.
TO ENRICH EDUCATION THROUGH DIVERSITY, WASHBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. CANDIDATES FROM UNDER-REPRESENTED GROUPS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.