Vacancy - Assistant Dean of Instruction - Washburn Institute of Technology
Recruitment Number 90170714
Washburn Institute of Technology invites applications for an Assistant Dean of Instruction to begin August 2014. The Assistant Dean of Instruction reports directly to the Dean and works closely with the Associate Dean for Technical Education, the Associate Dean of Student Services, the Coordinator of Health Occupations, Coordinator of Business & Industry, Coordinator of Continuing Education, Marketing, instructors, administrative staff, and the various governing and advisory Boards that impact the operations of Washburn Institute of Technology.
- Master’s degree in educational administration, educational leadership, curriculum and instruction or related field.
- Minimum 2 years teaching experience.
- Employment experience in career and technical education or corporate setting.
- Three years supervisory experience.
- Two years division chair or related academic leadership experience.
- Doctoral degree.
- Teaching experience in a technical institution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- As a member of the Washburn Institute of Technology senior staff, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate positive and professional leadership and support for lifelong learning, education, personal growth and development in performing the following tasks and assignments:
- Work with the Assessment Coordinator (AC) and Senior Administrative Assistant (SAA).
- Develop and/or oversee the development of curriculum; determine staffing, equipment, and classroom needs; and work with administrators, technical instructors, staff, and partners to coordinate technical education programs to ensure their success.
- Work with technical instructors to review programs and revise curriculum as necessary and to ensure alignment with state initiatives.
- Establish, update, and maintain program instructor files to document performance, continuing education activities and other information relative to their employment at Washburn Institute of Technology.
- Arrange professional development opportunities for in-services and summer institutes.
- Develop and support Technical Instructor Committees associated with Assessment and Curriculum development.
- Schedule, present and/or facilitate new instructor orientation to communicate the mission, vision, and goals of the institution and provide information on processes and procedures at Washburn Institute of Technology and Washburn University.
- Compile and/or update and maintain an instructor’s handbook.
- Hire and assign substitute instructors when instructors are absent for sickness or professional development.
- Make recommendations to the Dean about faculty loads and student enrollments.
- Work with SAA to ensure that textbooks are ordered and accurate, investigate eBooks and book rental options.
- Develop student-friendly schedules for technical general education courses and arrange for instructors for the courses.
- Communicate schedules to stakeholders both hard copy and electronically to aid with enrollment.
- Determine when courses should be cancelled and follow up to inform instructors, students and student services.
- Work with the virtual education coordinator to develop concurrent opportunities for both the technical and technical general education courses with area and regional Unified School Districts
- Work with the Associate Dean for Technical Education to ensure that Washburn Institute of Technology is in compliance with Higher Learning Commission (HLC) criteria.
- Other duties as assigned.
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume, names and phone numbers of three professional references, and college transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Assistant to the Dean, Washburn Institute of Technology, 5724 SW Huntoon St, Topeka, KS 66604. Application review begins August 11, 2014 and continues until position is filled. Salary begins in the low to mid $60k commensurate with qualifications. Excellent fringe benefits package. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire. To enrich education through diversity, Washburn Institute of Technology is an EOE. Candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. http://www.washburntech.edu/