Vacancy - Director for Instruction
(Recruitment Number K001561217)
Washburn Institute of Technology seeks applications for a Director for Instruction for the 2017-2018 school year. The Director for Instruction reports to the Associate Dean for Instruction and works closely with the Associate Dean for Student Services, Coordinator of Health Occupations, Coordinator of Business & Industry, Marketing, technical instructors, administrative staff, and the various governing and advisory boards that impact the operations of Washburn Institute of Technology.
As a member of the Washburn Institute of Technology senior staff, the successful candidate is expected to demonstrate positive and professional leadership and support for lifelong learning, education, personal growth and development in performing the following tasks and assignments:
- Develop and/or oversee the development of curriculum, working with technical instructors to review programs and revise curriculum as necessary and to ensure alignment with state initiatives.
- Determine staffing, equipment, and classroom needs, working with administrators, technical instructors, staff, and partners to coordinate technical education programs to ensure their success.
- Review and evaluate technical instructor performance and maintain instructor files to document performance, continuing education activities, and other information relative to their employment at Washburn Institute of Technology.
- Arrange professional development opportunities for in-services and summer institutes.
- Develop and support Technical Instructor Committees associated with Assessment and Curriculum development.
- Schedule, present and/or facilitate new technical instructor orientation to communicate the mission, vision, and goals of the institution and provide information on processes and procedures at Washburn Institute of Technology and Washburn University.
- Compile, update, and maintain technical instructor’s handbook.
- Hire and assign substitute instructors when technical instructors are absent.
- Make recommendations to the Associate Dean for Instruction about technical instructor loads and student enrollments.
- Work with Administrative Specialist to ensure that textbooks are ordered and accurate; investigate eBooks and book rental options.
- Develop student-friendly schedules for technical general education courses and arrange for instructors.
- Communicate schedules to stakeholders both in hard copy and electronically to aid with enrollment.
- Determine when courses should be cancelled and follow up to inform instructors, students and student services.
- Work with the Virtual College Coordinator to develop concurrent opportunities for both technical and technical general education courses with area and regional Unified School Districts.
- Work with the Associate Dean for Instruction to ensure that Washburn Institute of Technology is in compliance with Higher Learning Commission (HLC) criteria.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in educational administration, educational leadership, curriculum and instruction or related field.
- Three years teaching experience.
- Three years supervisory experience.
- Doctoral degree in educational administration, educational leadership, curriculum and instruction or related field.
- Employment experience in career and technical education or corporate setting.
- Teaching experience in a technical institution.
- At least two years division chair or related academic leadership experience.
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume, names and phone numbers of three professional references, and college transcript(s) email@example.com or mail to Kelly Mourning-Byers, Academic Affairs, Washburn University, 1700 SW College AVE, Topeka, KS 66621. Review of applications will begin January 2, 2018, and continue until position is filled. Salary begins in low $70,000 commensurate with qualifications. Excellent fringe benefits package. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire. Washburn Institute of Technology is an EOE. To enrich education through diversity, candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. http://www.washburntech.edu/