Vacancy - Technical Instructor – Part-Time ESL and Adult Basic Education
(Recruitment Number K001300917)
Washburn Institute of Technology seeks applications for a part-time Adult Basic Education instructor for the Advantage Center Adult Education Program at Washburn Tech during the 2017-2018 school year. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire. This is a benefits-eligible, grant-funded, half-time, 10-month position. This position has the possibility of renewal contingent on the need for services and the availability of funding.
The position will provide ESL and basic skills instruction as a part of the Advantage Center Adult Basic Education program at Washburn Tech. The position will assist students with breaking down technical content into understandable portions, numeracy, and study skills including, but not limited to: note taking; writing outlines; developing study guides; and asking questions.
- Instruct based on current teaching practices, including the potential of online teaching.
- Collaborate with other technical instructors to implement the course of study.
- Teach both theoretical and practical learning experiences.
- Provide contextualized instruction in basic skills including math, reading and writing as needed.
- Work with small groups or one-on-one with students to assist them in mastering the technical material.
- Work with students, as needed, to learn technical vocabulary.
- Work with students, as needed, to develop computer skills.
- Work with groups of students to develop soft skills that will assist them in obtaining and retaining employment.
- Work with groups of students to develop team skills.
- Incorporate the College Career and Readiness Standards for Adult Education into the contextualized and supplemental instruction delivered in the Career & Technical Education classrooms.
- Evaluate student learning and adjust instruction as needed.
- Collect and analyze student performance data with the Director of the Advantage Center and the ABE Coordinator.
- Move and maneuver equipment and materials weighing as much as 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience teaching adults
- ESL teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Developmental Education, Math, English, Science or Social Sciences
- Experience co-teaching or team-teaching, especially in classes where basic skills are developed in conjunction with technical instruction
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume, names and phone numbers of three professional references, and college transcript(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Kelly Mourning-Byers, Academic Affairs, Washburn University, 1700 SW College AVE, Topeka, KS 66621. Review of résumés will begin October 6, 2017, and continue until position is filled. Salary is $14,500.
Washburn University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To enrich education through diversity, candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.