Vacancy - Technical Instructor – Part-Time Temporary Adult Basic Education
(Recruitment Number K99981217)
Washburn Institute of Technology seeks applications for a part-time temporary Adult Education instructor for the Advantage Center Adult Education Program at Washburn Tech during the Spring 2018 semester. The successful candidate will be required to submit to a background check prior to hire. This is a non-benefits-eligible, grant-funded, quarter-time, temporary position.
The position will provide GED preparation and basic skills instruction as a part of the Advantage Center Adult Basic Education program at Washburn Tech. This position will co-teach a portion of the time with a technical instructor in Accelerating Opportunity-Kansas (AO-K) Career & Technical Education (CTE) courses. The position will assist students with breaking down technical content into understandable portions, numeracy, and study skills including, but not limited to: note taking; writing outlines; developing study guides; and asking questions.
- Instruct based on current teaching practices, including the potential of online teaching.
- Collaborate with other technical instructors to implement the course of study.
- Teach both theoretical and practical learning experiences.
- Provide instruction in math, reading, writing, science and social studies.
- Provide contextualized instruction in basic skills including math, reading and writing as needed.
- Work with small groups or one-on-one with students to assist them in mastering the technical material.
- Work with students, as needed, to learn technical vocabulary.
- Work with students, as needed, to develop computer skills.
- Work with groups of students to develop soft skills that will assist them in obtaining and retaining employment.
- Work with groups of students to develop team skills.
- Incorporate the College Career and Readiness Standards for Adult Education into the contextualized and supplemental instruction delivered in the CTE classrooms.
- Evaluate student learning and adjust instruction as needed.
- Collect and analyze student performance data as represented in Pablo with the Adult Education Coordinator at least monthly.
- Move and maneuver equipment and materials weighing as much as 50 pounds.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience Teaching Adults
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Developmental Education, Math, English, Science, Social Sciences or related field
- Experience teaching Adult Education Experience curriculum
- Experience co-teaching or team-teaching especially in classes where basic skills are developed in conjunction with technical instruction
To apply, submit a letter of interest, resume, names and phone numbers of three professional references, and college transcript(s) to email@example.com or mail to Kelly Mourning-Byers, Academic Affairs, Washburn University, 1700 SW College Ave, Topeka, KS 66621. Review of résumés will begin January 12, 2018, and continue until position is filled. Salary is $15/hour.
Washburn University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To enrich education through diversity, candidates from under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.