Department of Physics & Astronomy
Links related to the nature and process of Science...
Links related to the interaction of Science and Religion...
Please note that the focus of this list is on cooperative interaction, not antagonistic. If you're looking for some of the latter, try Google. Personally, I don't think antagonism is necessary or helpful.
Also, note that these links focus on Christianity. This is mainly because the current controversy between science and religion in the US is between science and (a particular flavor of) Christianity. Some other religious traditions have different ways of approaching the problem.
- Can a world class scientist also be a devout Christian? Discussion from NPR's "Talk of the Nation" with two scientists who are Christians.
- Can an Evangelical Believe in Evolution? Testimony of Francis Collins, Director of the Human Genome Project and Evangelical Christian. (PDF file)
- Asteroids, Stars, and the Love of God A conversation with George Coyne and Guy Consolmagno, two astronomers and Jesuit preists, about how they see the interaction of their science and their faith. (This is an episode of the public radio show 'On Being')
- Quarks & Creation A conversation with John Polkinghorne, theologian and particle physicist, about how he sees the interaction between science and faith. (This is an episode of the public radio show 'On Being')
- God and the Genome A talk and Q&A with geneticist Francis Collins (video)
- The Fish Wars A very nice and easy to understand description of the nature of the controversy over evolution and creation.
- The American Scientific Affiliation Affiliation of Christians in science, includes many relevant articles.
- Religious Perspectives on Evolution Some resources on religious perspectives on evolution.
- Evolutionary Christianity Conversations with Christian leaders and esteemed scientists.
- A short note on Intelligent Design for students. A short note pointing out that it is possible to be a religious believer and accept the scientific evidence for an old universe and evolution of life, with links to other resources and recommended reading. Find more on this topic here.
- Nonoverlapping Magisteria An article by Steven J. Gould regarding the differing "domains" or regions of study that science and religion occupy. This is a particularly good article and well worth reading closely.
- BioLogos Site devoted to answering a wide range of questions about how science and religion can be compatible. Focused on Christianity, but with implications for other religions as well.