Sunflower Music Festival set for June 6-14
A performance by the Sean Jones Jazz Quartet and an evening of music by the Atrium Quartet will add complementing personalities to the popular chamber fare at the Sunflower Music Festival set for June 6 to 14 at White Concert Hall, Washburn University.
Guest conductor will be Catherine Larsen-Maguire and artistic director is Charles Stegeman.
Doors to open at 6:30 p.m., except for the June 14 Blanche Bryden High School concert, which begins at 3 p.m. All concerts are free and open to the public. Early arrival is advised.
The 2014 schedule is:
Friday, June 6, 7:30 p.m., chamber orchestra
- L’isola disabitata Overture (The Desert Island) – Franz Joseph Haydn
- Concerto in D Major for Oboe and Small Orchestra, AV 144, TrV 292 – Richard Strauss
- Symphony No. 1 in D Major, D. 82 – Franz Schubert
Saturday, June 7, 7:30 p.m., chamber ensembles
- Wind Quintet, Op. 56, No. 2 in G minor – Franz Danzi
- Piano Quintet in A Major (“Trout”) – Franz Schubert
Sunday, June 8, 7:30 p.m., Atrium Quartet
Monday, June 9, 7:30 p.m., jazz concert, featuring Sean Jones Jazz Quartet
Tuesday, June 10, 7:30 p.m., chamber ensembles
- String Duo No. 2 in B-flat major for Violin and Viola, K.424 – Wolfgang Amaadeus Mozart
- Trio for Oboe, Bassoon and Piano FP 43 – Francis Poulenc
- String Quintet in C minor, Op. 121 – Franz Lachner
Wednesday, June 11, 7:30 p.m., chamber orchestra
- Brandenburg Concerto, BWV 1047, F Major – Johann Sebastian Bach
- Horn Concerto No. 4, K. 495, E-flat Major – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Symphony No. 39, K. 543, E-flat Major – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Thursday, June 12, 7:30 p.m., Blanche Bryden Collegiate Institute
Friday, June 13, 7:30 p.m., chamber ensembles
- Woodwind Serenade No. 13 in E-flat Major, K.375 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Piano Quartet No. 1 in C minor – Gabriel Faure
Saturday, June 14, 3:00 p.m., Blanche Bryden High School Concert
Saturday, June 14, 7:30 p.m., chamber orchestra
- Overture from the opera Don Giovanni, K. 527 - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Violin Concerto No. 5 in A minor, Op. 37 – Henri Vieuxtemps
- Symphony No. 104 in D Major (London) – Joseph Haydn
For more information regarding the music festival, call 785.670.1620, e-mail email@example.com or visit sunflowermusicfestival.org.
Dena Anson, university relations, 785.670.1711