present Sumner building is the fourth school built at 4th St. and Western
Ave. Conflicting records list 1875 and 1880 as date of origin for a
one-story brick building which burned down in 1888.
1901 a two-story brick building with 8 classrooms was completed near 4th
St. In 1914 one of Topeka's first junior high groups was started in the
building. Another junior high was opened in Quincy School that same year.
Sumner continued as a junior high until Roosevelt Junior high was built
1935 the present two-story brick structure was erected at the rear of
the old building and the old building razed. The new, elegant, art deco-styled
building had 10 classrooms, industrial arts rooms, a kindergarten, clinic,
teachers' lounge, administrative offices, and an auditorium with a playroom
that time Monroe
Elementary School at 15th and Monroe was designated for use by black
children. Linda Brown and her parents won the decision
in the U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. schools were forced to desegregate.
Information for this web page obtained from
Shawnee County Historical Society Bulletin #67, Nov. 1990,
"Gone But Not Forgotten: The Lost Schools of Topeka."
Copies of this Bulletin are available for sale, courtesy of the Shawnee County Historical Society.