1. What is the prerequisite for PY 151 Psychological Statistics?
Answer: PY 100 and MA 104 (or test score equivalent)
2. When should you take PY 252 Research Methods?
Answer: No later than during your sophomore year. Remember, you must have taken PY 299 Psychology Forum or be concurrently enrolled in PY 299 in order to take PY 252.
3. Can you take PY 252 Research Methods prior to PY 151 Psychological Statistics?
4. What course is PY 386 Advanced Research Methods and Scientific Writing a prerequisite for?
Answer: PY 390 Independent Research
5. Can you do more than one internship in psychology?
6. When should you take the ACAT?
Answer: Ideally, during the semester that you graduate.
7. How do you graduate with distinction?
Answer: Score at the 75th percentile or higher on the ACAT or score one standard deviation about the mean or higher on 3 of the 9 sections of the ACAT.
8. How do you graduate with honors?
Answer: There are three ways to earn honors. One way is to do a research project, write up the project into a thesis, and defend it before a committee. Another way is to do two WTE projects. Another way is to do an internships, present the project publically, and engage in significant departmental service. For each option, you must have at least a 3.5 GPA overall and support of the faculty.
9. How many hours do you need to take each semester to be a full-time student?
10. How many hours does a student need to take each semester to graduate in four years as a PY major?
Answer: 15 hours one semester and 16 hours the other semester.
11. Do you need to extra classes (beyond the 124 total required for a BA in Psychology) in order to have minor?
Answer: No, not if you plan your courses carefully.
12. What should you do if you are getting a D or F in a class after midterms?
Answer: Talk to the course instructor and talk to your advisor about how to improve or whether you need to drop the course.
13. How can I change or drop courses after registering?
Answer: Courses can be changed or dropped using the same pin that you used to register. Please notify your advisor of any changes.
14. Is it OK to skip meeting with your advisor and get your PIN from the administrative assistant?
Answer: No. You must get your PIN from your advisor.
15. What are the two student organizations in the psychology department?
Answer: 1) Psi Chi/Psychology Club; 2) To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA)
16. How often should you run a degree audit?
Answer: At least once each semester prior to advising.
17. How often should you meet with your advisor?
Answer: At least once semester prior to registration is the absolute minimum, but meeting more often is recommended (e.g., when you are having trouble with a class, when you have a question about resources at Washburn University).
18. Where can you seek mental health services on campus?
Answer: Student Counseling Services (670-1470; free; in Morgan Hall); Psychological Services Clinic (670-1750; $10 per session; Henderson Hall).
19. What are the four WTE options?
Answer: 1) Scholarly creative; 2) community service; 3) international travel; 4) leadership
20. Can you retake a course in which you received a D or an F to improve your GPA?
21. Under what circumstances can you take a class A/Pass/Fail?
Answer: You can use it if you meet these requirements: 1) you must have completed 24 semester hours, with the exception of PE 198, 2) you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher; 3) you may not take an A/Pass/Fail course in your major or minor; and 4) you may enroll in only one A/Pass/Fail course per semester. If you receive an A for an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive an A on your transcript; if you receive a B, C, or D in an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive credit for the course (not a letter grade) and it will not affect your GPA. If you receive an F in an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive an F grade on your transcript.