Residency status at Washburn

Your residency status is important! Washburn University uses it to determine which tuition rate you should receive: in-state or out-of-state. Non-resident status will mean you pay out-of-state tuition, unless you qualify for a tuition waiver or meet the criteria listed below. If your residency status changes, let us know as soon as possible, we can’t issue refunds after the fifth week of the semester.

Residency Status - your status based on documentation proving where you live.

Domicile - your home in Kansas, with the intent to stay in the state for an indefinite period of time.

Important things to consider

Attending a college or university outside of Kansas won’t cause you to lose your residency status

You are responsible for proving that you qualify for Kansas resident status.

Living in Kansas for six months before attending class at Washburn University is enough to establish your domicile. Other factors which reinforce your intent to live in Kansas include:

  • Staying in Kansas, even while not in school
  • Marrying a Kansas resident with a domicile in the state
  • Relying on a job or sources of financial support within Kansas
  • Having a former home within Kansas and maintaining significant connection wile away
  • Owning a home in Kansas
  • Registering to vote
  • Renting or leasing a place to live
  • Vehicle registration
  • Paying Kansas income and/or property taxes

Criteria for Veterans and Active Duty Military

Thanks to the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014, any veteran who lives in Kansas and enrolls in class within three years of discharge from active duty will be granted residency status. This also applies to a veteran’s spouse or child. Other qualifying factors for veterans include:

A spouse or child using benefits under the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship, who lives in Kansas, and enrolls within three years of the service member’s death in the line of duty.

Service members or their beneficiaries will need to complete the Military Residency Form and return it to the Student One Stop in Morgan Hall.

Criteria for Transfer Students

A student who transfers to Washburn University from another Kansas public college or university without interruption in enrollment (excluding the summer term) and who was a resident at the previous school will be granted residency status at Washburn University.

  • For everyone
  • Veterans
  • Transfer Students

If you feel your residency status is not correct, you may appeal by completing the Resident Status Appeal Form and submitting it to the campus residency officer (Washburn’s Associate University Registrar) through the Student One Stop located in Morgan Hall. The Resident Status Appeal Committee will review all provided documentation, and will notify the registrar, financial aid and business office of its decision. If you would choose to appeal a committee decision, you may bring new or additional information to the Executive Director of Enrollment Management, who will make a final decision.

All appeals must be made within 30 days after the start of a semester.


Washburn University Admissions
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone & Email

back to top button