Withdrawing from individual courses or a complete term

If you want to withdraw from a course, you may do so via your MyWashburn account when the course is available for advanced or open registration or enrollment. Specific instructions are available in the appropriate Registration Information Guide.

You can drop or add a class via your MyWashburn account at any time up until to the last day to withdraw. You can keep track of schedule changes by checking your MyWashburn account. Drops and adds are calculated separately, so in order to drop and add an equal number of class hours without any charge, you must do that within the published 100 percent refund period.

Making changes to your course schedule may cause a change in your financial aid and/or may cause you to have a financial obligation to the University. Please check this via your MyWashburn account. If an action causes you to have a credit balance, the credit will either be applied to your account, if you have a balance, or the excess will be direct deposited or mailed to you in check form according to your instructions. Please be sure your mailing address in MyWashburn is correct.

You may withdraw from semester courses via your MyWashburn accounts until the last day to withdraw. The date of withdrawal is determined by the day the withdrawal is processed on MyWashburn.

The responsibility for completing the withdrawal process rests with the student. Failure to officially withdraw results in the recording of F grades at the end of the semester/term and in being responsible for all assessed charges.

Specific deadlines for all courses, including out-of-sequence courses, can be found on MyWashburn by selecting the Student Academics tab and then selecting Last Day deadline for courses under the Additional Registration Information section.

You may withdraw by dropping all enrolled courses through your MyWashburn account.

If you are withdrawing for reasons related to the COVID-19 pandemic, please email a statement to the Financial Aid Office at financialaid@washburn.edu. Please include your name and Washburn ID number in the email.

Withdrawing may result in varying effects to your student account. Please be mindful of the following and make sure to check in with corresponding departments:

  • Financial Aid - Financial Aid recipients who completely withdraw from the University may be responsible for immediate  repayment of funds.  Eligibility for future financial aid may also be impacted. For further questions, contact Financial Aid at 785.670.1151.
  • Tuition and Fees - The date of a complete withdrawal will determine whether or not a tuition refund will be generated. For further questions, contact the Student One Stop at 785.670.2162.
  • Residential Life - Students who live on campus should contact Residential Living at 785.670.1065.
  • Veteran Benefits - Students receiving military/veteran educational benefits should contact 785.670.2329.
There are two types of retroactive withdrawal: medical and administrative.  Medical or other extenuating circumstances do not change your financial obligation to the University. If you did not withdraw from a class from a previous semester and you have extenuating medical or other circumstances, you may request a retroactive late withdrawal after the semester ends by following the procedures outlined on the form at VPAA and Registrar Office Forms page.

If you are called to active duty and must withdraw from classes as a result, please contact the Student Life Office in Morgan Hall 240 or by calling 785.670.2100.

If a student should die during a semester/session in which the student is duly enrolled, the student's estate will be refunded the tuition and fees based on the above stated policies. To initiate this process, the family may contact the Student Life Office in Morgan Hall 240 or by calling 785.670.2100.

GET IN TOUCH WITH Registrar's Office

University Registrar's Office
Morgan Hall
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone, Fax & Email
Phone: 785.670.1074
Fax: 785.670.1104

back to top button