Frequently Asked Questions

If you have a question about a Registrar process, you'll likely find the answer below. If you still need assistance, please call 785.670.1074 or email For information on important upcoming dates, please visit the Registrar home page.

As a freshman, you enroll during New Student Orientation. You can learn more about this by contacting the Admissions Office at 785.670.1030 or visiting the New Student Orientation webpage.

Enrollment dates for students who have 12 or more credit hours are listed under the advance registration schedule for each semester. There are also open registration dates available after advance registration is closed.

For specific dates and further information, please visit the Course Schedule & Registration Information Guide and click on Advance and Open Registration Dates and Guidelines under the appropriate semester heading.

Original diplomas are available approximately two months after the graduation date and mailed to you free of charge. Diplomas are mailed to the address provided at the time the you applied to graduate.


*We cannot release your diploma if you have business office holds on your record. Be sure these obligations are met before you request your diploma.

Ordering a replacement diploma

If your diploma has been lost or damaged, you can order a replacement.  Replacement diplomas will be available approximately two months after the request is placed.

A/Pass/Fail is a course option that you can use, if you meet the requirements listed below, for one class per semester. If you receive an A for an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive an A on your transcript; if you receive a B, C, or D in an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive credit for the course (not a letter grade) and it will not affect your GPA. If you receive an F in an A/Pass/Fail course, you will receive an F grade on your transcript.

There are four requirements you must meet if you want to take a course under the A/Pass/Fail option:

  • You must have completed 24 semester hours, with the exception of PE 198 (this includes transfer work if you are a transfer student)
  • You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
  • You may not take an A/Pass/Fail course in your major or minor (unless you have written permission from the appropriate department chair or dean)
  • You may enroll in only one A/Pass/Fail course per semester

If you meet these requirements, you may enroll in a course A/Pass/Fail before the semester starts during enrollment time, or you may change the course to A/Pass/Fail under the "change course options link" in your registration screen. However, beginning the second week of classes, the Change Course Option link will no longer allow changes for semester courses. You must process the options for changing a course in person at the Student One Stop in the Morgan Hall Welcome Center, or email your request to from your Washburn email account.

Deadlines and other important dates, including the last day to drop a class, are listed in the Registration Information Guide for the appropriate semester.

If you have certain holds on your record you may not be able to drop online through your student registration account on MyWashburn.  If that is the case, you will need to come to the Student One Stop in the Morgan Hall Welcome Center, for assistance.

Please make sure to bring a photo ID with you any time you want to make schedule changes or have us look up information regarding your account.

Verifications for degrees received and/or dates of attendance can be done by phone at 786.670.1074, by fax at 785.670.1104, or by mail at:

University Registrar's Office
Washburn University
1700 SW College Avenue
Topeka, KS 66621

You may access printable enrollment verification certificates by logging into MyWashburn and choosing the Student Self-Service link on the Student Academics tab. This link also allows you to view enrollment history and check loan deferments sent to lenders.

We are open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. 

To review course descriptions, please refer to our online catalogs.They are available from the Fall of 1993 to the current academic year. The catalogs contain all of Washburn University's policies and course descriptions and are available to view and/or print.

If the catalog year you need is not available on the website, please call our office at 785.670.1074 and we will provide you with photocopied information from the necessary catalog year.

To check the holds on your account, log into your MyWashburn account and select the Students tab. Select the Registration Menu, then select Student Records Menu (located at the bottom of the page), and then select View Holds.

In order to have a hold removed, you will need to contact the office that placed the hold on your account. If you are not sure which office you need to speak with, you may contact the Student One Stop at 785.670.1074 and we can help to direct you to the appropriate office.

Make sure you meet with your advisor each semester to ensure that you are not missing any requirements.  The instructions for running your degree audit online can be found at this link.

You will need to fill out an Application for Graduation, available on the Student Academics tab on your MyWashburn account, at the beginning of the semester in which you want to graduate. The Application for Graduation is due within the first two to three weeks after the start of the semester. Refer to the Academic Calendar for specific dates.

You should meet with your advisor if you have specific questions about your degree plan or requirements.

Current students may view their academic records through their MyWashburn accounts. Similarly, advisors may access unofficial transcripts of their advisees on the web, and the University Registrar's Office also provides hard copies to other offices (e.g. Financial Aid) on an as-needed basis. Unofficial transcripts are used solely as internal documents and are not issued to graduates of the University or to outside parties or institutions.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 requires that all requests for official transcripts be in writing and be signed and dated by the person to whom the academic record belongs.

To request an official transcript, print and complete the Transcript Request Form and

  1. Mail it to our office (address below) along with payment - we accept cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover - include number, expiration date, and the security code from the back of the card), or
  2. 2. Bring it in person to the Student One Stop in the Morgan Hall Welcome Center, along with your payment. A photo ID will be required.
    • If paying for a transcript in person, please be aware that a convenience fee will be charged for processing credit card payments.

The processing fee is $8 per copy. Checks and money orders can be made out to Washburn University.

Requests received by mail will be processed within three days of receipt. Requests are processed in the order in which they are received. If you request a transcript in person in the Student One Stop, your request may be processed immediately.  Transcripts for students who attended before Fall 2004 and have not previously requested a transcript will be available 24 hours after the request is made.

Note: University policy prohibits issuing transcripts to any student with any financial or other unmet obligations to the University.

If you cannot access the Transcript Request Form, you may write out your request. Please include the following information, printed clearly (where applicable):

  1. Full name as it appears on your record, as well as any other name(s) used while enrolled at the University.
  2. Social Security Number or Washburn Identification Number
  3. Dates of attendance
  4. Address to which the transcript is to be mailed 
  5. Your return address and telephone number in the event we need to contact you
  6. Your signature and the date

Mail requests to:

University Registrar's Office
Washburn University
1700 SW College Avenue
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone: 785.670.1074

We do not send anything via Federal Express, so please do not include Federal Express labels when requesting a transcript. If you would like to have a transcript sent faster than First Class mail, you will need to pay for and provide us with a USPS Priority Mail or Express Mail envelope. Please do not fill out the "send to" field on the label of this envelope.

In order to change your name, you will need to provide a signed request and a copy of your driver's license, marriage certificate, divorce decree, Social Security card or any other official court document verifying your name change to the University Registrar's Office. You may fill out a Change of Student Information form at the Student One Stop, 101 Morgan Welcome Center; fax your request to 785-670-1104; or mail your request to:

University Registrar's Office
Washburn University
1700 SW College Avenue
Topeka, KS 66621

The name change request MUST include your former name, new name, date of birth, signature and Washburn Identification Number (WIN) or Social Security Number if available.

Please make sure your request is legible.  If you use a copy of your Social Security Card or Driver's License to prove your name change, please lighten and enlarge the copy so it can be easily read. 

E-mail accounts for currently enrolled Washburn University students:

  • Within 48 hours of requesting a name change, expect an email in your old MyWashburn account providing your new MyWashburn user name and email address. Please make sure this information correctly reflects your name change. Note:  The activation date for your new account will be provided in the confirmation email.
  • After receiving the confirmation email, you have approximately two weeks to confirm the accuracy of the name change and ask any questions. To request assistance, either reply to the confirmation email or visit the Technology Support Center in Bennett Hall, RM 104 OR call 785.670.3000. Emails will automatically be moved from your old account to your new account. If you would like assistance transferring your calendar or address book, please contact the Technology Support Center at the number above.
On or after your new account activation date, your old account will be deleted and you may begin to use the new account reflecting your name change. Use the Retrieve Account Information link on the MyWashburn page to look up your new account information.
In order to update your preferred name on your student record, please contact the Student One Stop by emailing

GET IN TOUCH WITH Registrar's Office

University Registrar's Office
Morgan Hall
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone, Fax & Email
Phone: 785.670.1074
Fax: 785.670.1104

back to top button