Getting started at Washburn University

Download a printable version of the Military Student Checklist

Apply for Admission to Washburn

Obtain a copy of your DD-214

If you do not have a copy of your DD-214, you may order it at the following website: 

(Please contact for further assistance obtaining your DD-214.)

Complete FAFSA

Complete the Student Application for Federal Financial Aid form located at:

  • You may be eligible for other types of financial aid while receiving your Veterans Educational Benefits. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • You ARE NOT required to report federal educational benefits on the FAFSA, such as Montgomery GI Bill®, Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Dependent Educational Assistance, and Vocational Rehabilitation.

For other financial aid questions please visit Financial Aid at the Student One Stop in Morgan Hall.

Review VA Education Benefit Programs

Determine which program is right for you by viewing the Education Benefit information at:

Complete an "Application for VA Education Benefits" (VONAPP)

Prior to enrollment, students must schedule a meeting with:

Chris Bowers, Military Transitions Coordinator, Military Student Advisor & (ESO), Military-Student Success Center, Mabee Library Room 206A, or 785.670.1983.

  • Create a degree plan with a Military-Student advisor (a list of all the courses needed to complete your degree) before registering for classes.

If Military student Advisor is unavailable, meet with Academic Advising, Mabee Library, Room 201, or with Yvette Montgomery, School Certifying Official, Morgan Hall, Room 102A (enter through the Admissions office),, 785.670.2329.

Center for Prior Learning & Testing, Mabee Library, Room 218, or 785.670.1227.

  • Discuss military transcripts and earning credit for military training/experience through DSST and CLEP exams which are funded for qualified military service members

Complete your paperwork

Turn in the following documents to the Military Benefits Specialist, Morgan Hall 102A (enter through the Admissions office),

Remember, you will have to recertify for your VA benefits at the beginning of each semester through the Registrar's Office.

If you have questions or need help with the certification process, please contact the Military Benefits Specialist at Morgan Hall 102A (enter through the Admissions office) or 785.670.2329.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

back to top button