Military and Veteran Education Benefits

Washburn University disburses more than $53 million in federal, state, institutional and outside resources every year and you may want to explore those options but be sure to check out the special benefits for military-related students. There is a link at the bottom of this page to the financial aid office.

Special Education Benefits for Military-Related Students

But, as a veteran or active military student, you may also be eligible for several types of VA education and training benefits, but there are many things to consider before you apply for a GI Bill® program.  Your decision to apply for a certain education benefit could impact your eligibility for other benefits. Here are a few factors to keep in mind:

• If you’re eligible for more than one education benefit, such as Chapter 33 Post-9/11 and the Montgomery GI Bill®, you must choose which benefit to receive, a decision that may be final and cannot be changed. 

• Once you elect to utilize the Chapter 33 Post 9/11 Education Benefit program and your application with the Department of Veterans Affairs has been approved, this decision is final, and requires you to give up any additional education benefits for which you might also be eligible.

Eligibility for benefits is not determined by Washburn, but by the Department of Veterans Affairs. In order to determine eligibility, a service member, veteran, or dependent should complete the Application for Benefits.  To apply for benefits online, please use the Department of Veterans Affairs VONAPP site.

Which educational benefits apply to you?

Detailed descriptions of programs and eligibility requirements are available at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website (link below.) Be sure to review the Benefit Guidelines for important information regarding your VA education benefits (link below.) If you have questions or need help with the certification process, please contact the Military Benefits Specialist at 785.670.2329.

This program, commonly known as Chapter 30, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible active duty service members or veterans. This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.  MGIB-AD eligibility requirements include at least two years of continuous active duty service. Students who are on active duty or terminal leave are eligible for reimbursement of tuition and required fees only. For detailed information, see the Veterans Benefits Administration Montgomery GI Bill® page.
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) is for Veterans with service-connected disabilities. VR&E offers comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation and counseling to determine abilities, skills and interests for education and employment. Post-secondary education training at a college, vocational, technical or business school is commonly known as Chapter 31.  This program pays tuition and fees, cost of required textbooks and supplies, a monthly stipend and assistance with finding employment.  For more information call 1-800-827-1000 to consult with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor to determine eligibility.  Effective August 1, 2011, if you are also eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill (chapter 33), you may choose the Post-9/11 GI Bill monthly housing allowance instead of the Vocational Rehab subsistence allowance.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® became effective August 1, 2009, and is commonly known as Chapter 33. If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days, you may be eligible for this VA-administered program. The program provides financial support for education tuition with academic fees, a book stipend with a housing allowance. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.  For more information see the Post-9/11 GI Bill Program pamphlet.

Post 9/11-GI Bill Chapter 33, Transfer of Entitlement (TOE)

Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement is an education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001.  Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® program can apply to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children. For more information see Transfer of Entitlement Option.

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents or spouses, of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 35.

This program pays a monthly benefit based on enrollment status. These benefits are available to dependents of:

  • a veteran who died or was permanently and totally disabled while serving on active duty, or who died from any cause while so disabled;
  • a service member missing in action or captured in line of duty; or forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power;
  • a service member hospitalized or receiving outpatient treatment for a service-connected permanent and total disability and is likely to be discharged from service for that disability.

For more information see the DEA pamphlet and information on the Marine GYSGT John David Fry Scholarship.

This is an educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve and provides a monthly stipend based on enrollment status.  The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. Chapter 1606 eligibility is determined by the Department of Defense.  You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits. Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.  Basic eligibility requires a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve and satisfactory participation in required Selected Reserve training.  This benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses. For more information see the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve pamphlet.

This educational benefit is for certain Reservists who were activated after September 11, 2001. Eligible recipients receive a monthly stipend based on enrollment status and period of service. To be eligible, you must be a member of a reserve component and have performed active service for a minimum of 90 consecutive days. Additional benefits may be available under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. 

*The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015. Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits.  The Post-9/11 GI Bill in many ways has replaced REAP because it also provides educational assistance benefits for Reserve and National Guard members called to active duty on or after September 11, 2001, and in many cases provides a greater benefit than REAP.

For more information see REAP.

Once you have been certified by the school VA official and your certification has been processed by the VA, you need to do a monthly verification to the VA at the end of each month of enrollment.

Verification may be completed in one of two ways:

  1. At the end of each month of enrollment, call 1-877-823-2378 on a touch-tone phone
  2. Follow this link to verify your enrollment through the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program.

Both options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You do not have to use the same method each month, but you must verify enrollment each month. Students can verify their enrollment as early as the last day of each month, and if there has been no change in your enrollment status, payment should be received in about 5-7 working days after verification.

Additional aid for military-connected students

In addition to VA educational benefits, there are also Military Service Scholarships, as well as Federal and State Tuition Assistance programs available.

The Kansas Military Service Scholarship is available for the payment of tuition and fees at a public Kansas institution for students who are a resident of Kansas and has either (a) served in military service in international waters or on foreign soil in support of military operations at least 90 days after September 11, 2001, or served less than such 90 days because of injuries during such military service; (b) has received an honorable discharge or under honorable conditions (general) discharge from military service or is still in military service; and (c) has provided copies of military discharge papers (DD-214 form) or active duty orders whichever such paper or order indicate the location of such person’s deployment and indicate the person has served after September 11, 2001, in any military operation for which the person received hostile fire pay. Because financial need is a priority in awarding this scholarship, students will need to file a FAFSA form. Once your school considers you as a graduate status student, you are not eligible for this scholarship.

For more information and the application for the Kansas Military Service Scholarship click here.

The Armed Forces offers soldiers, sailors, marines, guardsman, and airmen several programs to support their education goals including up to 100% Tuition Assistance for college courses taken during off-duty hours.  For more information on each military branch's tuition assistance program and application process, visit

The Kansas National Guard Educational Assistance provides up to 100% of tuition and fees that leads to the award of a certificate, diploma or degree upon satisfactory completion of course work requirements for enlisted members of a Kansas Air/Army National Guard unit. Full-time enrollment not required. Student must have a GED or high school diploma to qualify for this assistance. The member must have less than 20 years of service with the National Guard and not already have obtained a bachelor’s degree.

The Kansas National Guard Educational Assistance application may be found here.

  • Because students awaiting tuition assistance or VA benefits may experience delays in payment that extend beyond the University’s normal payment schedule, a payment plan is available for our military students.
  • The Military Payment Plan (MPP) will protect the student’s account from late fees or holds connected with charges due for tuition, fees, books, supplies and housing up until the due date. The single payment date in the MPP is on the first business day of the last month of each term. Balances not paid by that date will be subject to a late payment fee.
  • Students enrolled in the MPP may use the plan to charge books at the Ichabod Shop (bookstore). An authorization card signed by the Business Office and brought to the Ichabod Shop by the student is required.
  • A $30 setup fee is charged for enrolling in the plan ($20 for the summer term). The fee is part of the total balance due and is not required to be paid at the time of enrollment in the plan.
  • If a student is enrolled in the plan and the University receives 100 percent of the charges on the student account from the VA or other tuition assistance programs, the setup fee is reversed at the time payment is received. 
  • Military Payment Plans are not available to all students and cannot be set up in WU-View.  Please contact the Washburn University Business Office for assistance or send an email to

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

back to top button