A guide to the college admissions process and financial aid at Washburn University

Washburn University welcomes new community members from Ukraine and we encourage them to enroll. Individuals who have relocated from Ukraine are encouraged to share their status when working with Washburn faculty and staff so that we can assist with navigating enrollment and access to community resources and organizations designed to assist with resettlement.

How to apply for admission

Students from Ukraine can apply to Washburn by completing the following steps:

Official college transcripts from outside of the U.S. should be sent to credential evaluation agencies such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Educational Services (WES). These organizations translate and evaluate and then send directly to Washburn.

Official transcripts from within the US should be sent electronically to etranscripts@washburn.edu.

If you're unable to secure official transcripts, please contact Office of Admissions at 785.670.1030 or admissions@washburn.edu.

You're eligible for scholarships

Students from Ukraine are eligible for domestic student scholarships, including freshmen merit scholarships (worth up to $20,000), academic department scholarships and other Washburn scholarships.

Ukrainian Citizens are eligible for financial aid

According to the U.S. Department of Education guidelines, Ukrainian citizens, nationals, and other persons who last habitually resided in Ukraine and were paroled to the United States (under Uniting for Ukraine, or U4U) may be eligible to receive federal financial aid.

Complete the following steps to apply for financial aid:


UHP individuals may also have one or more of the following, which is helpful documentation for verifying status and accessing TIV financial aid via the FAFSA:

  • Paper form I-94 with a UHP COA;
  • Foreign passport with parole stamp that includes a UHP COA; or
  • Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document (EAD) with a C11 category, if they have applied for and received one

Ukrainian citizens and nationals paroled into the United States outside of the Uniting for Ukraine process may also obtain, or may have, the same documentation as those paroled under U4U, but with a general parole COA, such as "DT" (meaning parole authorized by U.S. Customs and Border Protection District Office or Port of Entry) or "PAR" (meaning parole authorized by USCIS) listed in their Form I-94, Arrival/Departure Record, and/or a parole stamp in their foreign passport. 

Once documentation has been received, Washburn's Financial Aid Office can assist with completion of the FAFSA to begin the process to determine eligibility for financial aid.

Check out our Intensive English Program

While Washburn University doesn't mandate English proficiency for immigrants, our Intensive English Program offers an opportunity to earn college credit while enhancing your English language skills.


Washburn University Admissions
Morgan Hall Suite 100
1700 SW College Ave.
Topeka, KS 66621

Phone & Email

back to top button