The Business Office works closely with the Military Benefits Specialists to provide support for military students and their families. In addition, the Center for Student Success Office of Military Student Success provides information and services for veterans and active duty miliary students.

In the Business Office, we work with these areas to make sure students military funds are recorded appropriately to pay account balances. There are a number of ways for students to use military benefits to pay for their education, including but not limited to the options below.

A more comprehensive list is available at the Education Benefits link on the Military Student Success website.

  • If you are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits or Transfer of Entitlement, you must submit information each term to the Military Benefits Specialists to have tuition and fees certified with the VA.
  • Military Benefits Specialists provide the Business Office with information on when you are certified, the total tuition and fees certified, and the number of hours included in the certification.
  • The length of time between certification and payment from the VA can range from two weeks to several weeks after the 100% tuition refund period is over. 
  • If you are receiving Chapter 33 benefits, you will see the tuition and fees paid to your account only after the University receives notice of payment from the VA. Any charges paid previously with grants or student loans will then be refunded to you, according to the University’s refunding schedule.
  • Students who withdraw from classes after the Chapter 33 benefits have been paid and applied may end up owing all or a portion of the tuition and fee charges back to the University. If the VA requests the University return all or a portion of what was received, the University must then request the student repay the University. 
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) is for Veterans with service-connected disabilities.  More comprehensive information is available at the Education Benefits link on the Military Student Success website.
Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents or spouses, of certain veterans. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. More comprehensive information is available at the Education Benefits link on the Military Student Success website.
  • Eligible students (active Army, National Guard, Army Reserve) must complete an application online at prior to the beginning of classes for the term.
  • Requested TA must be signed by student and approved by Army Education Counselor 10 days prior to the start day of the semester.
  • When requesting TA, course start and end dates must match the course start and end dates on the student schedule.
  • Students needing information about degree plans can contact the Student One Stop.
  • Students needing information about grades or graduation can contact Stephanie Lanning in the Registrar's Office.
  • You must notify the Business Office in order for your TA request to be iprocessed.
  • A change in the your schedule from the approved authorization may result in a reduction of benefits and a delay in invoicing affected charges to ArmyIgnitED.
  • Eligible students (Air National Guard, Army National Guard) must complete an online application from the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR).  All applications are submitted directly to KBOR. The priority date to apply is May 1 for the following Fall and Spring terms, but all online applications must be submitted to KBOR no later than their published deadlines for Fall and Spring.
  • You must complete the form according to published deadlines.  KBOR suggests you check their online KNG Educational Assistance Program account to make sure the complete application was received.
  • KBOR advises the University when the application process is complete, and at that point the University will enroll the student in a Military Payment Plan (MPP) in order to prevent late fees or holds from being applied.
  • Tuition and fee amounts are limited to 15 hours per semester.
  • Student must have a FAFSA on file and apply for Federal Tuition Assistance if applicable (the National Guard will track this for each student).
  • Student must maintain a 2.0 GPA and provide a transcript each semester to their National Guard Unit.
  • Grants, loans or scholarships disbursed to your account will apply to the account balance in the order they are applied.  When the KNG award is received (usually November for the fall term and April for the spring term), a refund will generate if the balance is zero or below the amount of the KNG award.  At that time, the setup fee for the MPP will be reversed for students whose balance is cleared by the KNG award.
  • Students whose balances are not cleared by the KNG award must pay the remaining balance by the single installment date in the MPP (December 1 for fall and May 1 for spring).  The $30 setup fee for the MPP will not be reversed for these students.
  • IMPORTANT:  The program does not pay for courses that are dropped or retaken, or any courses from the summer term.
  • Because students awaiting tuition assistance or VA benefits may experience delays in payment that extend beyond the University’s normal payment schedule, a payment plan is available for our military students.
  • The Military Payment Plan (MPP) will protect the student’s account from late fees or holds connected with charges due for tuition, fees, books, supplies and housing up until the due date. The single payment date in the MPP is on the first business day of the last month of each term. Balances not paid by that date will be subject to a late payment fee.
  • A $30 setup fee is charged for enrolling in the plan ($20 for the summer term). The fee is part of the total balance due and is not required to be paid at the time of enrollment in the plan.
  • If a student is enrolled in the plan and the University receives 100 percent of the charges on the student account from the VA or other tuition assistance programs, the setup fee is reversed at the time payment is received. 
  • Military Payment Plans are not available to all students and cannot be set up in WU-View.  Please contact the Washburn University Business Office for assistance or send an email to the Business Office.
  • The Financial Aid Office has a full-time financial literacy specialist available for students wanting details regarding financial aid options.  Details may include information about federal loans and grants, as well as private loans and scholarships.
  • The staff of the Financial Aid Office can also answer questions about loan options, origination fees, etc.
  • Information about the various types of aid is available in the Financial Aid section.
back to top button